Saturday, September 27, 2008

Boston Symphony Hall











On Wednesday, September 24th, my father and I went to the Boston Symphony Hall to watch the opening night of Boston Symphony Orchestra. I had to dress up like a gentleman. I had to wear my father's black suit and my father's leather shoes. I really like to wear black suits so I was happy to wear them. When we arrived there, it was crowded with people. They all wore luxurious clothes. It was my first time being in Boston Symphony Hall so I was very excited. The building looked like an ancient Roman building. There were statues of people and stone columns. We went upstairs to go to the first balcony which was our seat and observed the stage. It was white and looked beautiful. As we were waiting, we read the pamphlets about today's show. It talked about the Boston Symphony Orchestra's music director, James Levine. He is the 14th music director the orchestra. It was interesting to read the pamphlet because it gave so much information about the history of the Boston Symphony Hall and the Orchestra. A few minutes later, the orchestra came on to the stage with James Levine. Mr.Levine was a short guy but looked like a very generous man. It was interesting that he sat on a chair while he conducted the orchestra. I never saw a music director sit and conduct in my life. My music teacher said that he has a back problem or something so he can't stand for a long time. The orchestra played three songs which were; Overture to Ruslan and Ludmila by Glinka, Letter Scene from Eugene Onegin by Tchaikovsky, and Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky. When I heard the music, I was amazed. I was amazed at the orchestra. I was so amazed that I was shocked. They were so good and they were the best orchestra I ever saw so far in my life. I could know that the players practiced these songs for more than ten hours a day when I heard the music. When they played the music, I felt like many toothed wheels were working together, playing perfect music like the toothed wheels that are parts of a machine working together and making the machine run. Also the conductor was amazing. He was filled with passion while he conducted the orchestra. That night, I learned that if I want to reach my goal, I have to work and practice very hard like the players in the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It was a great night and I was really glad to be there.

1 comment:

staff said...

Hi Joshua!

Good essay about the orchestra. I edited a few things. Instead of "One this Wednesday..." we say "On Wednesday..", and "my first time being .." (gerund), a few article mistakes. When you say "toothed wheel" do you mean "gears"?